Set Up a Limited Company
Set up a limited company today. We can help with all aspects of company formation and registration; providing on-going guidance to help your business grow.
Set Up a Limited Company
At DS Burge & Co, our team are experts in helping you set up a new limited company quickly and easily. We can help advise on the best structure to meet your needs, guide you through all the legal obligations that Companies House require.
Once your business is registered, we can also help provide company secretarial services and offer on-going support with all your accounting and tax requirements. From bookkeeping to payroll, we’re here to help you grow.
Why you should use DS Burge & Co to help set up your limited company
- We can help with all aspects of company formation and registration
- Once set-up we provide on-going guidance to help your business grow
- We’ll also help ensure you meet all legal obligations, such as registering for corporation tax which must be completed within 3 months from when your company starts trading
Ready to register your company?
Schedule a free consultation to find out how we can help get your limited company set-up
Which company structure should I choose?
Before registering a new company, you first need to decide which structure you’d prefer. As part of our service, we’ll help advise you based on your individual requirements, so we set up your limited company with the best structure to meet your needs.
The three main types of legal entity are a Private Limited Company (“Limited” or “LTD”), a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) and a Company Limited by Guarantee:
Private Limited Company:
- The most common type of company incorporation
- Primarily used for businesses that are set-up to generate profit for the owner(s) of the business
- Protects personal assets by limiting financial liability to the value of the share(s) in the business
- Mainly used for professionals and consultants who want to keep the flexibility of a traditional partnership, but want to limit their liability so that personal finances are protected should the business encounter financial difficulties
- An LLP also offers flexible tax benefits, and the business won’t pay corporation tax as each business partner is responsible for paying tax through their self-assessment tax return
Company Limited by Guarantee:
- Often used by non-profit organisations in the UK, for example, membership organisations, charities and sports clubs
- This type of company structure protects the personal finances of the company owners in the same way a Private Limited company protects shareholders – although instead of shareholders and shares this structure has guarantors and guarantees
- Profits are typically re-invested back into the company. Although guarantors can take profits from the company, doing so will mean any charitable status will be relinquished
I always feel I am being given a personal service with Darius. He responds to any queries immediately and I trust his advice implicitly. Also he is a very nice man and his fees seem to me to be reasonable. A very professional service that I highly recommend.Sara H.
When creative people get together their first topic of conversation isn't writing or film or music - but accountants. I have nothing but good things to say about Kieran Burge at D. S. Burge. As a professional author I need a good accountant, and Kieran is friendly, accurate, fast and good value. I'd not hesitate in recommending this firm -- Henry Gee, Author of 'A (Very) Short History of Life on Earth' and 'The Accidental Species, Mistunderstandings of Human Evolution'Henry G.
DS Burge & Co is a family business who provide accountancy services and financial advice for a wide range of clients from large companies to individuals who need help with their tax return. For the last 35 years they've provided me with this service in a professional and friendly way and I can wholeheartedly recommend themAndy J.
Great firm who are responsive and extremely knowledgeable.Nick L.
In a word, Professional!paul K.
Have worked with DS Burge & Co for the past few years and could not recommend Kieran and his team more highly, always professional and always responsive!Richard A.
I can't recommend Kieran and Yuko highly enough. They are thoughtful, responsive, reliable and trustworthy. I feel in very safe hands with them and they have supported the growth of my business right from the beginning. I always get a swift response to any queries or questions I have, and they are proactive, engaged and tech savvy. I have recommended them to several people and will carry on doing so as they provide an excellent service.Lisa Q.
Very professional and responsive service. Always there to answer any questions I had in an understandable fashion. Highly recommend.Sophie B.
We've used DS Burge & Co Accountants to process our business accounts for the past few years. Kieran and his team have provided an outstanding service during this time. Kieran's wealth of knowledge and understanding of finance and accounting has been invaluable for a business like ours. His advice and attention to detail is first class, and we would recommend DS Burge & Co Accountants to anybody in need of accounting services.Daryl H.
I am a book keeper and have worked with DS Burge & Co Accountants via a number of clients for a few years now. I have always found them to be friendly, incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and quick to respond to queries. Indeed, Kieran has often gone above and beyond to resolve queries that I have had. I would definitely recommend them and have to some of my clients, who are also very satisfied with the service that they have received.Tamsin V.
It’s great working with Kieran and the team. Fast and efficient and extremely knowledgable.Marieke S.
Friendly, helpful and efficient. Running our business is so much easier with DS Burge & Co.Kim C.
I am happy with the service I receive for both my companies, Kieran and his team are very professional and great value for money. Happy that I changed!!Agnes T.
I am delighted with the service I receive and the help I always get and the availability of Kieran and Yuko to assist me.I am extremely grateful that the fees have not rocketed up.I feel safe in their hands and a valued customer. I have only positive comments to give.Marion L.
DS Burge & co operate a great accounting service. They are efficient, informed and friendly. Highly recommended.Paul C.
What do you need to register a limited company?
To register a limited company in the UK, you’ll require the following details:
- Memorandum of Association: business name, location, and business activity type (SIC Code)
- Directors names, addresses, and the registered address of your new limited company (as part of our company secretarial services you can use our Surbiton address if you’d prefer
- A list of share capital and shareholder details along with any people of significant control (PSC) – you need at least one shareholder allocated at least one share
- Articles of Association: outlines the director’s powers and shareholder rights. Most companies use the Model Articles of Association for this.
When picking your company name, we’ll need to check the Companies House register that it is unique and not already registered to another business.
There are also certain words that Companies House list as ‘sensitive’, which means to register this type of name you’ll need permission for the relevant authority. Examples are “Dental” or “Royal”.
We’ll also need you to provide proof of ID and proof of address. This is to comply with Anti-Money Laundering (AML) regulations and ‘Know Your Customer’ (KYC) requirements.
We also recommend that you set-up a business bank account, and we can help advise on suitable services.
Don't delay! Get in Touch
If you are considering switching accountants, we can help make the switch smooth, quick and hassle-free.