Capital Gains Tax Advice
Get capital gains tax advice from our team of specialist accountants. Make the most of available tax relief whilst being fully compliant with HMRC.
Capital Gains Tax Advice
Get capital gains tax advice from specialist accountants at DS Burge & Co.
Typically, capital gains tax arises on gains made on the sale or disposal of assets that exceed your tax-free allowance. We have decades of experience helping clients navigate the complexities around Capital Gains Tax (CGT).
We offer a fully bespoke CGT service and provide each customer with personalised tax advice. Our expert accountants have significant knowledge in all areas of personal and business taxation and will analyse your individual circumstances so we can help you make the most of any capital gains tax relief and available deductions.
Not only do we help reduce your capital gains tax liability, but we also ensure you are fully compliant with HMRC and will deal with them on your behalf.
How DS Burge & Co’s capital gains tax advice can help reduce your liability?
- We treat each client as an individual, offering personalised capital gains tax advice - so you make the most of any available tax relief
- We have decades of experience helping clients navigate the complexities and changing legislation that surrounds capital gains tax. Our aim to help you reduce your tax liability
- Let us handle the stress of dealing with HMRC, including liaising with them on your behalf
Make the most of any capital gains tax relief and available deductions
Whether you are considering the sale or disposal of an asset, or need help calculating your tax liability on existing gains, get in touch with our team today
What is capital gains tax?
Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is a tax on the gain when you sell or dispose of an asset that has increased in value.
Disposing of an asset includes:
- Selling an asset – including business assets
- Giving away an asset as a gift
- Swapping an asset for something else
- Getting compensation for an asset
Capital Gains Tax doesn’t apply to all assets, and the tax you’ll pay depends on if your gains in a given tax year fall under your tax-free allowance.
- Having struggled to find an accountant who was competent using Xero, we have been delighted with the knowledge and assistance given by Kieran. He is always prompt to respond to any queries and we are very happy with the service provided.Vicki d.
- DS Burge & Co are an essential support. They are responsive, professional, practical and trustworthy. It is a pleasure dealing with every member of the team.Lucy B.
- A great company to work with, brilliant communication, excellent attention to detail, and nice people to boot. Since working with DS Burge & Co I have expanded the use of their services. Recommended.Richard S.
- DS Burge & Co have always gone above and beyond in providing accountancy services to our company. They are professional, accommodating and we wouldn't think to look anywhere else.Tim M.
- I have been a happy customer for many years, and have always received very prompt, personal and accurate advice - here's to many more years!Roy S.
- Kieran and Yuko have been my accountants for the last 3 years and are always super timely, helpful, and take the stress out of filing. Highly recommend!Diane W.
- Very good family run business. Great service.Jorden M.
- After being extremely disappointed with the services of other accountants we took on DS BURGE & Co almost 20 years ago.I have never had any reason to feel anything but appreciation , gratitude and wholehearted satisfaction in our dealings.Darius has always been prompt , courtesious and available to offer sound advise and guidance.Their preparation of our accounts has been fastidious ever year.Can't recommend them enough !Special firm special peopleDarius , Serena and the torch bearer Kieron .If you like cricket that's a bonus on top.Don M.
- Had a great experience with DS Burge, and particularly Kieran. He made the process nice and easy and was a help throughout. Can't recommend highly enoughJason M.
- We've used DS Burge & Co Accountants to process our business accounts for the past few years. Kieran and his team have provided an outstanding service during this time. Kieran's wealth of knowledge and understanding of finance and accounting has been invaluable for a business like ours. His advice and attention to detail is first class, and we would recommend DS Burge & Co Accountants to anybody in need of accounting services.Daryl H.
- Kieran has always been very responsive and particularly well informed. I can’t recommend him highly enough.Alexander B.
- Great firm who are responsive and extremely knowledgeable.Nick L.
- Kieran at DS Burge & Co Accountants was recommended to me via my financial adviser last year. The services he provides is second to none. Prompt, efficient and reasonably priced he is well worth talking to if you are searching for an accountant. His advice has also been a great help in saving me money dealing with other business matters. Well worth paying him a visit. Peter Kalejs Leatherhead.Peter K.
- Would highly recommend. Have been working with Kieran for a few years now and the team are fantastic. Very calm, personable and knowledgable.Scott H.
- Job done efficiently and without fuss to very high standard. Friendly and easy to communicate with. I can relax and get on with my business without stress.Joe C.
Do I pay capital gains tax on property?
You will have to pay capital gains tax on the ‘gain’ from any sale or disposal of property that is not your main home (Principle Private Residence). For example:
- Buy-to-let properties
- Inherited Property
Any gain made from the sale or disposal of business assets (land or buildings) are also subject to capital gains tax.
If you are a landlord or private individual looking to understand your tax liability on the sale or potential sale of a property, please get in touch to see how we can help. There may also be tax relief available to you.
Capital gains tax on the sale of shares
Alongside gains made on the sale or disposal of land and building assets, you may also need to pay capital gains tax on shares and other investments.
Examples of shares and investments that you may need to pay tax on includes:
- Shares not wrapped in an ISA or PEP
- Certain bonds, such as Premium Bonds
There are many other factors that apply to the Capital Gains Tax applicable to the sale or disposal of shares, for example:
- The date the shares were bought and subsequently sold
- Fees paid to stockbrokers
- If shares were purchased as part of a ‘Rights Issue’ or through another vehicle such as an investment club.
Due to the many complexities surrounding the calculation of stocks and shares gains, combined with continually changing HMRC legislation, it’s easy to see why many businesses and individuals come to DS Burge & Co for Capital Gains Tax Advice.
Don't delay! Get in Touch
If you are considering switching accountants, we can help make the switch smooth, quick and hassle-free.