Capital Gains Tax Advice

Get capital gains tax advice from our team of specialist accountants. Make the most of available tax relief whilst being fully compliant with HMRC.

Ensure HMRC Compliance
Ensure HMRC Compliance
Reduce Your Tax Liability
Reduce Your Tax Liability
Personalised Support
Personalised Support

Capital Gains Tax Advice

Get capital gains tax advice from specialist accountants at DS Burge & Co.

Typically, capital gains tax arises on gains made on the sale or disposal of assets that exceed your tax-free allowance. We have decades of experience helping clients navigate the complexities around Capital Gains Tax (CGT).

We offer a fully bespoke CGT service and provide each customer with personalised tax advice. Our expert accountants have significant knowledge in all areas of personal and business taxation and will analyse your individual circumstances so we can help you make the most of any capital gains tax relief and available deductions.

Not only do we help reduce your capital gains tax liability, but we also ensure you are fully compliant with HMRC and will deal with them on your behalf.

How DS Burge & Co’s capital gains tax advice can help reduce your liability?

How DS Burge & Co’s capital gains tax advice can help reduce your liability?

  1. We treat each client as an individual, offering personalised capital gains tax advice – so you make the most of any available tax relief
  2. We have decades of experience helping clients navigate the complexities and changing legislation that surrounds capital gains tax. Our aim to help you reduce your tax liability
  3. Let us handle the stress of dealing with HMRC, including liaising with them on your behalf

Make the most of any capital gains tax relief and available deductions

Whether you are considering the sale or disposal of an asset, or need help calculating your tax liability on existing gains, get in touch with our team today

0208 232 1559
Email Us
Make the most of any capital gains tax relief and available deductions
What is capital gains tax?

What is capital gains tax?

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) is a tax on the gain when you sell or dispose of an asset that has increased in value.

Disposing of an asset includes:

  • Selling an asset – including business assets
  • Giving away an asset as a gift
  • Swapping an asset for something else
  • Getting compensation for an asset

Capital Gains Tax doesn’t apply to all assets, and the tax you’ll pay depends on if your gains in a given tax year fall under your tax-free allowance.


google logoDS Burge & CoDS Burge & Co
5 Stars - Based on 17 User Reviews
  • Had a great experience with DS Burge, and particularly Kieran. He made the process nice and easy and was a help throughout. Can't recommend highly enough

    Jason M.
  • Professional and very helpful on all fronts.Great response to all enquiries.

    Steven B.
  • Prompt professional service.

    Alex a.
  • Last year I got a very scary letter from HMRC demanding I pay them £17k in lost taxes. Kieran from DS Burge & Co was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in getting that bill largely reduced and ensuring that HMRC don't make the same mistake again. Would highly recommend their services to anyone

    Alexis P.
  • Very fast and friendly service.

    Rosemaria E.
  • I've been using DS Burge for many years and they have always provided a great service. I use them for my personal finances, and for two businesses also. Very knowledgeable in all areas, and always available and helpful.

    Julian W.
  • Have been using DS Burge & Co ever since I started having to do a tax return both personally and for a limited company. Always very detailed and quick responses to any queries and thorogh explanations. Great at ensuring tax payable is the most efficient it can be. Would highly recommend.

    Jack M.
  • Excellent service. Taxes and incorporation of my company sorted promptly.

  • Efficient, personable and highly professional. Would highly recommend!

    Dominic R.
  • Very smooth process from start to finish. I was assisted with a complex matter which had been badly handled by my previous accountant and the resolution was quick under Mr Burge’s stewardship. Highly recommend.

    Henry B.
  • Excellent service from DS Burge and Co; very responsive and pragmatic and helpful approach. Extremely well priced service. My wife and I have used their services for a number of years and have always been extremely impressed.

    Julian T.
  • We have used DS Budge & Co since we set up the company 11 years ago and I can honestly say that we wouldn’t still be here if it hadn’t been for their assistance over the years. They are not only first rate accountants but trusted, loyal advisors and friends – I could not recommend them more highly.

    Camilla H.
  • Excellent service, would not hesitate in recommending you to anyone, and have.

    Miss P.
  • I started my own business at the beginning of the year, and I decided to use DS Burge as my accountants based on recommendations from a few friends who were long term customers.So far their levels of service and professionalism have been fantastic. They have helped guide me through all the hurdles I expected (and some I didn't).As you would expect you have a lot on your plate when you set-up from scratch, but they have always been on hand to help.

    Ali W.
  • Very efficient and easily accessible. Responds quickly to communication. I would recommend to others.

    Cath G.
  • I started using DS Burge and Co following a recommendation from my brother. I have been with them now for 6 or 7 years now and I always find them to be extremely responsive and efficient. Kieran and Darius are extremely knowledgeable and up to date. I have recommended them to a number of friends who have started using them and then told me how good they. This reflects well on me but it has also confirmed my impression that they are a quality outfit.

    Dr M.
  • DS Burge have been invaluable in helping with my tax returns and planning, and forming a number of companies for me. The team are friendly, results focused and knowledgeable.

    Alexander P.

Do I pay capital gains tax on property?

You will have to pay capital gains tax on the ‘gain’ from any sale or disposal of property that is not your main home (Principle Private Residence). For example:

  • Buy-to-let properties
  • Inherited Property

Any gain made from the sale or disposal of business assets (land or buildings) are also subject to capital gains tax.

If you are a landlord or private individual looking to understand your tax liability on the sale or potential sale of a property, please get in touch to see how we can help. There may also be tax relief available to you.

Do I pay capital gains tax on property?
Capital gains tax on the sale of shares

Capital gains tax on the sale of shares

Alongside gains made on the sale or disposal of land and building assets, you may also need to pay capital gains tax on shares and other investments.

Examples of shares and investments that you may need to pay tax on includes:

  • Shares not wrapped in an ISA or PEP
  • Certain bonds, such as Premium Bonds

There are many other factors that apply to the Capital Gains Tax applicable to the sale or disposal of shares, for example:

  • The date the shares were bought and subsequently sold
  • Fees paid to stockbrokers
  • If shares were purchased as part of a ‘Rights Issue’ or through another vehicle such as an investment club.

Due to the many complexities surrounding the calculation of stocks and shares gains, combined with continually changing HMRC legislation, it’s easy to see why many businesses and individuals come to DS Burge & Co for Capital Gains Tax Advice.

Don't delay! Get in Touch

If you are considering switching accountants, we can help make the switch smooth, quick and hassle-free.

Get in Touch

Call Us

We offer a full range of services. To find out more and get a free no obligation quote, please get in touch today

020 3962 0507

Chat With Our Team

If you have any questions about our services or would like more information, you can start a live chat with one of our team.

Start a live chat session

Prompt professional service.

Alex a.

    Send us a message